One way or another dementia will affect us all at some point in our lives. Whether we are family members looking after our loved ones or are the caregivers who have been entrusted with their well being, learning about the illness coupled with key coping skills will help us to have a positive effect on their lives. Understanding exactly what dementia is, and how it affects sufferers, cultivates more positive, compassionate care. We can all do something to reach out and it starts with awareness.
CUSTOMIZED DEMENTIA TRAINING
As both a Certified Dementia Practitioner and Trainer in Positive Approach to Care®, Yvette Gagnon also has years of experience in dealing with the complex issues involved in working with dementia. She offers flexible and unique hands on training addressing the specific needs of those who want to understand more about dementia and how they can help others. Training and learning tools are offered in four areas. All divisions provide sample outlines and customized instruction.
Why choose Positive Approach to Care® training?
All workshops are tailored to meet your individual goals and designed to be delivered in communities, for businesses, care facilities or any group interested in learning more about dementia.
- You will learn and practice hands on skills needed to feel successful in your interactions with those who are living with dementia, reducing the number of challenges that may
- You will be able to identify ‘unmet needs’ quicker, thus lessening the challenges that may have resulted otherwise.
- You will improve your business culture by giving staff the tools they need to succeed and feel supported in their day to day interactions with those that are living with dementia.
- Learn about the brain, dementia progression and the different types of dementia.
- Learn to identify and respond to unmet needs.
- Develop Positive Approach to Care® techniques, improving outcomes of those living with dementia:
- Positive Personal Connections (PPC)
- Positive Action Starters (PAS)
- Positive Physical Approach® (PPA)
- Hand-Under-Hand® (HUH) guiding and assisting
- Get hands on training and reflection. and reflection. Learners will apply skills and understand the PAC philosophy and why its important in day to day care.
- Learn what dementia is and how does it progresses.
- Understand what you can do as a business to support those living with dementia in our community.
- Determine what you can do as a business to recognize and support staff who may be caregivers.
- Be ready with simple and effective strategies to help both front line and behind the scenes staff in communicating effectively with those living with dementia.
- Understand the differences between what is normal aging and what is not.
- Learn what makes for a dementia friendly community.
- Understand they types of, and reasons for, dementia and its progression.
- Learn how best to support someone with dementia.
- Build communication strategies.
- Understand the differences between normal versus abnormal aging.
- Understand dementia, its progression and the journey ahead.
- Build communication strategies.
- Access skills, support and resources.
“Yvette is very knowledgeable and really understands and has a passion for what she presents.”
“I thought the session was great- well organized, interactive, visuals, great information. Yvette was great in all ways! I highly recommend the session with her.”